Tuesday, January 14, 2014

From the Top: Your Birth Story






 I found out we were expecting you just before Christmas 2012. Definitely the BEST gift ever.  But don't tell your dad.  He thinks the Brita he gave me a few years back still holds the top spot.  (Yes, you read that right. He got me a water filtrating pitcher for Christmas.  I can't say it enough...I am a lucky woman.)  Keeping you a secret from the prying eyes of family and friends was tough.  Water filled beer bottles and grape juice wine glasses were in full force. Some guessed it just by the looks on our faces.  We were all smiles as we prepared for the next 9 months.

Fast forward through a pretty easy pregnancy all things considered. There were some bumps (pun intended) along the way including a terrible rash, a lot of lbs. gained, some serious swelling, and having Chuck Norris in my belly, but well worth every moment. Of course I didn't see the incessant itching all over and gargantuan Flintstone feet as lightheartedly as I do now.  You were due August 31st, 2013 which was Labor Day weekend. LABOR.  You made me work for it that is for sure....


First attempt: August 26th.

We knew you were not necessarily what one would call a small baby thanks to the ultrasound pictures. We didn't actually need the pictures to tell us that.  One look at me and the bump and I knew you were not going to be a 6 pounder. Here is possibly the one and only selfie bump picture out there. Like I said, not small. 


 Dr. F thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and induce me a week early and I wasn't complaining. So your dad and I got everything ready to go and drove to the hospital bright and early, ready to meet you.  I didn't sleep a wink that night. We were pretty nervous as you can imagine, but so ready for you. So were your aunts, uncles, and grandparents.  They all came and camped out in the waiting room. Boy were we in for a treat. There was a tailgate in the parking lot outside my window where they were able to enjoy pizza and beer as I snacked on my 15th cup of ice (yep, ice...the only thing I was allowed all day!) 12 hours later....nothing.  After 14 hours in the hospital they sent us all packing.  We couldn't believe we had to leave-No one told us that was a possibility until hour 13.  Bummed, we went home and waited a week hoping you would be ready on your own. No such luck.

Second attempt: September 2nd. Labor Day

Well Round Two was scheduled for Monday.  We came in packed and ready to rock-determined to make it happen.  Unfortunately, there was a communication error and after waddling my happy butt all the way into the hospital, we were told there was no room for us and we would have to come back in the next morning. Defeated, I waddled back to the car and home we went.

Third time is the charm. Tuesday September 3rd.

I was determined to not leave the hospital without a baby this time.  We were ready to go and even got there earlier than our scheduled time to make sure we were in-7:30 am.  I was mid way through paperwork at the desk, feeling confident, and then BAM. Out of no where comes this screaming woman in a wheel chair.  She was in heavy labor and needed a room.  My room.  So off we went into the waiting area. This was just the beginning to a day full of waiting. A few hours after settling in I felt the first sign of labor pains.  Who would have thought I would be excited about pain, but that meant you were FINALLY ready to show your face. Just kidding. Cue in: 12 more hours of labor. Around 10 pm we were all getting a bit restless. You were trying, but face first isn't the way it works around here and so we were prepped for surgery. Your dad got all dressed in some scrubs and I was given a nice dosage of meds and off we went while our families anxiously waited.

Now I don't remember everything, but what I do makes me smile every time I think about it.  You came into this world as "Wagon Wheel" was playing on the radio in the room (the stupid Hootie version, but nonetheless a favorite song of mine and your dads). You looked pretty rough- the Doc must have seen concern in our faces because immediately he said the swelling would go down and you would not have that forehead for long. Look- I would love you no matter what, but it looked like you went three rounds with Mike Tyson. If you don't believe me take a look at this. 



You aren't sleeping-your eyes are swollen shut.





Now what you don't know is the Doc & I had a deal-you would not get over 10lbs.  As the nurse took you over to be weighed we were making bets.  The good doctor guessed 9 lbs 8 oz...smart man. As it turned out you were a whopping 10 lbs 6 oz!  22 and a half inches long.  You never looked chubby, but you were a hoss for sure. Born at 10:59 pm on September 3rd.


Here are a few pictures of your first hour of life.  You will have to excuse the unflattering lighting and angles (and the 14 hours of fluid being pumped into me didn't exactly bode well for my figure.)  Also don't mind the creepy anesthesiologist photo-bombing. 

I will explain photo bombing if it is not still a thing when you get around to reading this.  


 













The swelling did go down and you were a beautiful baby.  But I will say Dr. F did ask Bobbie (our friend that is a nurse at Bethesda) how your forehead looked the next morning! I think he was a bit worried :) 



Welcome to the world Maddux Michael Davis. We are so thrilled you finally made your grand entrance.  
                                                        

And so your story begins...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you finally started blogging! I loved reading about Maddux's birth story - super tough, but so worth it! Keep 'em coming! Yay!

    ReplyDelete